Thursday, April 7, 2011

La Tortilleria

I love Toronto for the fact that it can satisfy any culinary need. Yesterday, my craving-of-the-day was for tortillas and I don't mean the disc-like things you can pick up from the supermarket. Tortillas are a Latin American flat bread, normally made from a corn flour mixture called masa. All-corn versions are available, which are naturally gluten-free.


I visited a place in Kensington market called La Tortilleria (198 Augusta Avenue). There are a few locations of this shop within the Greater Toronto Area. In Spanish, the shop's name means tortilla bakery or tortilla shop. The shop sells old world style tortillas by weight. The stack below (approximately 1 kg) cost me $3.00 CAD. They were actually warm when I picked them up!


The bread keeps well, for approximately 2 to 3 weeks, in the refrigerator. Alternatively, they can be frozen. (They don't last that long at my place!)


As you can see, the bread is paper thin and is perfectly made for holding other ingredients. They have a rather simple corn flavour, which lends itself well for breakfast, lunch or dinner.


I decided to go simple and savory for dinner. I made a wrap with some frittata, caramelized onions and homemade mayonnaise.


For my recipe for frittata, click here.
For my recipe for homemade mayonnaise, click here.


The tortillas can also be baked, pan-fried or deep-fried. They are a definite must-try that will leave you feeling like you are in Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment