Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tilapia avec le fenouil et les oranges sanguines

Fennel and blood oranges are an incredible pair. I often use this duo in salads, but I also cook with them.


Fennel can be bought in bulb form. This vegetable has the crunch and fibrous quality of celery, with a subtle licorice flavour.


All parts of the fennel can be eaten including the bulb, core, stems and leaves. The stems and leaves actually work quite well with this particular recipe, but feel free to use any part of the vegetable.


Wash, cut and arrange some fennel pieces on an aluminium foil-lined baking tray.


Lay some tilapia fillets directly on top of the stems and leaves. Tilapia is a mild flavoured, freshwater fish is available in most supermarkets. I have used both frozen and fresh tilapia for this dish and they both come out wonderfully.


Season the fish with some sea salt, red chili flakes (optional), and a generous amount of olive oil.


Place sliced blood oranges on top of the fillets. If blood oranges are not available, regular oranges will do. (If you do not have any oranges, you may use lemons, but note that you will be making a completely different dish.)


Bake the fish in an oven until the fish is tender and flakes easily.


This dish is quick, flavourful and yummy! I often serve it with basmati rice with peas and a few olives on the side.

Bon appétit!

4 comments:

  1. Asif; have you ever tried this recipe with salmon or trout?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zia, I've never tried this recipe with trout, but I'm sure it would be great. However, with the salmon, I would do it a little differently because of its high fat content. I wouldn't add any extra olive oil. My favourite way to do salmon is baked with lemon and capers...Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Asif: i tried this out with salmon and good old plain juicy oranges and it was delicious. i usually do my salmon with lemon but we really enjoyed it this way (with leftover wild rice).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zia, I will definitely have to try it with salmon one day! I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete